Search This Blog

March 2019 letter

We are almost to the middle of March now. This is a month with many opportunities to come together with other people from our group to quilt.
We had our three day quilting retreat at Brookswood at the beginning of March. There will be a free motion class coming up this week on March 13th at Brookswood, and there will be another two days on March 26th and 27th at Brookswood. This could possibly be the most quilting days in one month that we have ever had!

I won't be able to attend the free motion class, but I have been doing some free motion quilting of my own here at home this morning. I decided to try something I have never done before. I am sewing with the back of the quilt up. My quilt backing has a large flower pattern that I am outlining. I am quite enjoying this. With every quilt that I free motion quilt, the motions feel more and more natural. Learning to free motion quilt is comparible to a child learning to print. At first the letters look awkward. Then with pratice, the letters looks smoother and more refined. As with penmanship, quilters each develop their own unique style.



The end result is all over texture. It blends in, but upon examination it looks great on this quilt!

 I know many of you are gearing up for the free motion class on March 13th. If this is a new skill for you, there may be a bit of nervous excitment. Just relax and enjoy the learning process. Practice, practice, and pratice. You will see improvement! I hope you really enjoy this class!

See you soon at the next Crescent Quilters' meeting. I will also be at Brookswood on March 26th.

Sincerely,

Gloria

No comments: