Search This Blog

April Letter

Sometimes opportunities come along, and I impulsively just go for them. This month, one of those moments happened. I recieved an email from a women who is on our wait list to become a member of our group. Her name is Wendy.  She got a quilt top that was pieced together by someone who lived on Denman Island. That person, unfortunately, passed away before it was made into a quilt. Wendy layered it together, and did some stitching in the ditch. She was looking for someone to quilt some daisies onto it. The quilt is going to be raffled or auctioned off to raise money for Camp Alexandra. She was asking me to send out an email to the CQ members to see if I could find a volunteer to do the quilting. Instead of sending out the email to everyone, I told her that I was interested in doing it. The quilt appeared at my doorstep when I wasn't home last Saturday. I got right to quilting daisies onto it. I finished it up within a week.
As I was quilting, I wondered about the person who created the quilt top. Who was she? What was she like? I will never know.  I began to wonder about Denman Island. I have never been there. I Googled it, and found pictures. It looks so beautiful, I will definiately go check it out this summer. When I do go there, I will probably be wondering where the quilter lived. Will I be visiting the places she used to go to?  I began to wonder about Camp Alexandra. I know where it is, I've driven by many times, but I didn't know anything about it. I Googled it as well, and found it very interesting to read up on it's history. It seems like a wonderful camp with many great programs. The programs are intended to encourage everyone to be the best that they can be. I love that. I was happy to be quilting a quilt that would benefit this wonderful camp. I definately felt like participating in quilting this quilt was enriching and enjoyable. Once I was finished, I posted a photo, and the story about the origins of the quilt on Instagram with the hashtag of Denman Island. I wonder if someone living on the Island that new the lady who pieced it, will ever see the posting and recognize the quilt. That would be cool for them to see how it turned out, and for what cause it went to!

Here is a picture of the quilt. 

It's easy to pass up opportunities like this that come along. I am glad that I choose to take the opportunity. I enjoyed it more that I imagined I would when I first said "yes"!

Interesting fact:
Did you know Alexandra house was originally an orphange in the early 1900's?

No comments: