Search This Blog

April Recipe



This month, I wanted to talk about one of the latest food trends. Have you heard of power bowls? Have you ever tried a power bowl? Before you turn up your nose or close this page, read on and consider trying one.

Eating healty foods such as power bowls give you energy, and help to keep your mind sharp. If you are cutting fabric or piecing a quilt, you need to be able to focus so that you don't make errors. Eating healthy can help.

I have jumped on the bandwagon, and I like this healthy food trend!

 I make it easy to get good flavour by buying a power bowl spice mix like the one I have in the picture. You can find this in the spice isle of the grocery store. There are different flavor varieties available.  No matter what spice variety I buy, I always add about a tablespoon of seasoned rice vinegar. It just seems to make it taste better. 
I make my power bowls with quinoa, although the package directions say to use couscous. The quinoa I used for the photo is the tri-color kind. Quinoa is high in protein, good for energy!

For the moroccan power bowl I use the following ingredients:

-2 cups cooked quinoa (The package says couscous, either are fine) Remember one cup of uncooked quinoa uncooked= 2 cups cooked quinoa
-1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
-3/4 cup chickpeas, rinsed
-1/2 cup shredded carrot
-3/4 cup finely chopped kale (I rub it while I wash it, which makes it softer)
-1/4 cup raisins
-2 tbsp sliced almonds
-one cubed cooked yam (optional) -don't overcook it, you don't want it to turn to mush when you mix it into the power bowl
-1/4 cup light olive oil

Experiment, try adjusting the ingredients to suit your own likes.
Mix all ingredients together while the quinoa is warm.Serve warm or cold. Leftovers taste good the next day!

No comments: