Search This Blog

Quilting Biography of Carol Peel

 

When I started thinking about my quilting biography, I realized how many people had helped me. Quilting is such an important part of my life. This story includes just a few of the people so I hope no one who reads it feels like they are left out.

1968:  As newlyweds my husband, Terry and I moved to Hamilton Ontario.  His aunt Marie was the first person to you inspire me. We went to the mills in Waterloo, chose polyester fabrics and a pattern.  With one paper template and scissors I cut out all the triangles, sewed them together and stored the finish blocks under a rug. The only flat place available.  Marie arranged for the Mennonite ladies in Almira to hand quilt it and it is still used in our home to this date.



1974 and more

After work and travel came babies. Terry’s “Gran” inspired me with the first quilt that she sent to our new daughter. Our friends were having babies too so I was inspired to use my appliqué and embroidery skills to design mini baby quilts.  I also made clowns for the children, the Children’s Hospital, and gift shop.


1980 and more

 Chatelaine magazine published their Provincial Flowers of Canada quilt design and the opportunity for appliqué was irresistible.  I didn’t like the orange lilies or the repeating patterns so I design blocks based on the flowers in our front yard.  There is deadly nightshade, lily of the valley, jack in the pulpit, clover, milkweed, etc.  This is my favourite quilt.



This quilt actually was not quilted until 1992 when Phillis Macfarlane hand quilted it for me.



1991and more

We moved here and I met Elaine Becker and she liked quilting.  I learned about rotary cutters, cutting boards and real patterns. We quilted together and she taught me so much.  I finally bought a sewing machine with 18 different designs and the ability to appliqué, quilt and do free motion.  I still love my Janome 5018.  I believe it’s nickname is workhorse.

 

I joined crescent quilters in 2006.  I was inspired by the beautiful pieces created by this talented group of ladies.   I went to my first quilting class, tessellating squares given by Diane Stevenson.


I challenged myself with new and interesting ways to create community quilts. Jean Husband showed me an I Spy pattern that I’ve never been able to stop using.  Shelagh Conners always had a really interesting fabric and her I spy is even easier.  I really liked doggie in the window too.  I may have a reputation for making too many I Spies




 


I am sure some of you will remember this friendship star quilt where many people contributed blocks for this fabulous result.

 



I even started using more challenging patterns like this cross canoes, on my own.  You might notice that I am still stuck on stich in the ditch.


I enjoyed learning to do seminal piecing and had fun designing these ladies to put on the back of our French door.



 

2011 to 2015. Some quilts take longer than others to finish.

Lynne M. was my inspiration to even try and think about attempting a Judy Niemeyer quilt.  I chose Thistle Pod but converted it into a Starry Starry Night to complement a Hubble telescope photograph that Terry had printed.  It was complicated but I loved making it.  It was the first time I had quilting done by a long arm quilting expert.


 








Classes with Nancy Chang and Lauri Swim helped improve my skills.

Cindy Needham blew me out of the water. I love free motion quilting but…… I keep this little pillow just to remind me that I can, at least I think I can.

My T-shirt quilts were all made on request.  With my newly acquired skills and a good library book on T-shirt quilts, I started.


Putting these irregular sized pieces together was rather like a jigsaw puzzle and doing the free motion quilting was a joy.

 

 Dear Jane quilt  2006-2020

Hand piecing these blocks was a joy and a passion. There were so many techniques to learn that once I finished all the patterns in the book I started to add a few of my own.  My goal was to make a tablecloth, a covering for the worktable in my sewing room.  Once I assembled the blocks I could not figure out how to arrange them.  Faith (Macleod) basted the quilt for me and I stitched in the ditch it until it was done.  I even made a coffee table cover out of some of the extras.  I’m super pleased with the results but I don’t think I will ever use a black background again.


2018 - 2020

Quilting became a big part of my rehab after I had a set-back in 2018.  The Quilter Maker’s Gift pattern book #1 was just what the doctor ordered.  The patterns for each block became increasingly difficult as you went through the book.   The instructions were clear. The quilt was finished by November. 

 

 Now my COVID-19 inspired plans include:

-  making more community quilts.  Thanks Donna M. for the inspiration.

-  working on the Canadiana quilt, Faith made it possible for me to attend the classes.

-  tackling another Judy Niemeyer pattern with modifications for my grandson who is growing too tall for    his bed.

I’m sure will all get through this.  Thank you, stay safe, and happy Quilting.

Carol Peel





3 comments:

hiddendepths said...

This is fabulous! It really is a quilt show. When we get back in person let’s make sure we have Carol do a quilt show.

Jeanniecat said...

Bravo, The canoe quilt is one of my favourites.

Linda Lee Henriksen said...

Truly inspiring, Carol! Thank you for sharing.