Search This Blog

September 2020 Newsletter

 


Welcome to our new year for Crescent Quilters! While we are in the midst of the pandemic, we will not be holding meetings as we were before. We may have some very small get togethers at Seniors Come Share, but this will be decided on a month to month bases. We will still have a monthly newsletter, and a community quilt challenge.We have had good response of people signing up for the round robin activity. Twenty-eight people have signed up so far. It is an activity that will give us an opportunity to connect with a couple of other Cresent Quilters' each month. It will also be a great way to spark your creativity as well. If you have not yet signed up, but would like to, please send an email to Gloria. It will start in October.

We will have a virtual sew day via ZOOM on September 22nd. For more information, click on the Zoom icon along the right side of this page.
 
We have four new members this year. They are: Lisa Pulsifer, Carol Bagshaw, Marilyn Good, and Wendy Wulff. 

Brookswood quilting days are also on hold because of the pandemic. We will be getting together once more, weather permitting. on Friday October 2nd for an outdoor visit at Brookswood from 12-3pm.

In order to keep the newsletter interesting, it will be more important than ever for members to send in interesting things to be included in the newsletter. Pictures for Sew, Show, 'n' Tell, bits of humor, links to things they like, articles or stories of interest, that are quilt related. The newsletter will feature bios from a couple of our members each month. Thank-you to everyone who submitted things for this newsletter. Hopefully nothing was missed. If it was, please let Gloria know so that it can be updated.

This month, one of our new members Lisa P. has submitted her bio. Iris Z. one of our long time members has also submitted her bio. Read on for both bios.

Lisa Pulsifer

Lisa is a talented fiber artist who is accomplished in cross-stitch, crochet, knitting, embroidery, applique and quilting. While knitting is her first love, quilting is quickly overtaking her craft room. You may recognize Lisa when you see her as many of you will have purchased fabric with her help at Dragonfly Quilting and Gifts in Cloverdale where she started working in May.

When not diving into the world of quilting Lisa can be found hiking in the mountains. Don’t expect to see much of her during the summer months when she disappears into the mountains for weeks of adventures.

Lisa is almost entirely self-taught and looks forward to the opportunity to share with and learn from others in the quilting world.







Iris Zeller

I started Quilting in 1996 when my youngest of three started grade 1.   I took a beginner quilting class in Tsawwassen through Delta Continuing Education.  The class was from 10-2pm.  Gave me enough time to attend and be back to pick up my kids from school.   One of my class mates invited me to come to the Fraser Valley Quilters Guild.  They met once a month in Surrey.  I attended and it was huge 500 members.  Approximately 300 people attending the day meeting.

I made friends at that guild by volunteering and taking classes.  There was a small group of us that would get together twice a week to quilt and take turns hosting in the various members homes.  I learned so much.  I liked the large guild for the guest speakers and the classes.  The challenge was getting to know people.  It was a really large group.

One of the ladies I met in the group I mentioned above had just moved to White Rock.  We were good friends and she heard that there was a group starting up in White Rock.  They would meet once a month in the evening.  This was perfect it was now 2001 and I had gone back to work full time now.  So daytime was not an option.  I was the last one to join the group of Crescent Quilters when it started.

The purpose was to have a small intimate group that could get to know one another.  I have been a member ever since.  I love this group, it has had changes, both members have changed and our meeting location.   This is now our 3rd location at Come Share. 

I find quilting enjoyable, and my therapy from my crazy work life and sometimes our own busy lives with family and commitments.

I would say that I am a butterfly quilter.  By that I mean, I go from one technique to another.  I enjoy trying all kinds of quilting styles.  I have some I really like, such as machine applique or art quilts.  I am no expert, probably because I do not stay with one thing long enough before I move on.

I dislike binding quilts by hand and I can not hand applique to save my life.  It looks like a 5-year-old worked on it.  I can thread paint and I can complete patterns if the instructions and the instructor focus on the visual.

I have taken many classes over the years, and been very fortunate to have taken classes with many international quilters as well.  I even went to Houston in 2014.

2020 has been a very challenging year.  Not just for me but for everyone I know.  My daughter in law lost her dad early January and he was only 59 years old.  I am now in the process of making a memory quilt for her mother from his clothes.

Originally, I thought this would be fairly easy, the man always wore t shirts and jogging pants when I saw him.  Well when I got the bag of clothes, yes there were jogging pants and the plaid pj pants.  And some t shirts.  Only one t shirt had a logo and that was one his wife brought back from Vegas a few years back when she and her mother went on a trip.  The rest of the t shirts were plain. 


Let me tell you this memory quilt has been my biggest challenge so far and I have been quilting for 24 years.  Everyone of the fabrics her wore were cotton spandex or polyester in the fabric.  I cut everything out and I backed it with stabilizer.  I ended up embroidering, and doing photo collage to complete this lap quilt.  I also backed it with a beautiful red minke fabric.

I hope his wife loves it when I give it to her next month.  As you can see from the pictures it is not quite finished yet.  Probably one of my favorite things is that I used one of the pockets from his Mack Jacket.  Inside I will be putting a hanky that has his birthday their anniversary and day he passed.  I hope it is a comfort and a surprise to his wife when she finds it.

I have enclosed some pictures for you to see how I put it together.  I included pictures of everyone in their immediate family into the quilt and embroidered his favorite things.




Going back to the butterfly quilter, I am also working on the following projects as well,

Bring home the Christmas tree.

Suzy sitcoms Pigeon quilt.

A monopoly lap quilt.

And I am still trying to finish 3 quilts from classes I took recently.  If you are a new quilter, I hope you enjoy our group.  I look forward to meeting you.   For those of you who already know me.  I enjoy this group so much as we are wonderful and inspire one another. 

Iris


No comments: