Search This Blog

Coffee cake with Plums

One of Gloria's favorite recipes

This is a recipe that my mother and many ladies from her church would often make for church functions. It is easy to make. It can be made with other fruits instead of plums. Also good with blueberries or apples. In my opinion, prune plums (the small purple ones) are the best. This makes two cakes. One 9"x13" and one 9 inch square. It seems to turn out the best if glass cake pans are used. I've tried it in metal before and the bottom gets too brown before the cake is done. I have made this often to take to work (I take the big one for work, and keep the small one for my husband and I to enjoy at home)

2 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup oil
3 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk

Mix in the order given in mixer. Spread in greased cake pans. Put sliced plums on. I cut mine into quarters but you could cut them into halfs. My mom says to put the skin side down so that not too much juice runs out of the plums as it bakes.

Make crumbs:

1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup margarine

Mix very well with hands until crumbles form. Sprinkle on cake. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 min or until it is turning lightly brown and toothpick inserted comes out without dough on it.

If you have a recipe that you would like to have featured as the recipe of the month please submit it to Gloria