Search This Blog

Group Project Modern Quilt

October letter from the President:


If you missed our last meeting, you missed seeing the finished result of our group project modern quilt. Here is a photo of the completed quilt.


I want to thank everyone who participated in this project! I took the blocks that you submitted and put them on my design wall at home. My original plan was to use white fabric as the background fabric. My design wall was also white. What I didn't like was how the blocks looked like they were not well defined against white. I suddenly remembered that I had some grey fabric in my stash. I pulled it out and held it up against the blocks. I new immediately that this was the right choice. I had ideas swirling around in my head on how I would like the quilting to look. The original plan was to have a draw for just the quilt top. I couldn't help myself, I just had to quilt it too! I really enjoyed quilting this top. There was so much negative space to play with swirls and other designs. I wanted to try using bamboo batting. It felt a little different than quilting with a cotton/polyester blend. It was just a little bit harder to push through the machine. The other thing I wanted to experiment with was the 12wt. thread that I won at the CQA meeting at Canada Place. This proved to be quite challenging! I had several thread breaks and I had to sew very slowly. It was tricky to get the tension right.

I must admit I was really loving the final result of this quilt. I was trying not to get too attached to it though, because it was going to be given away to a lucky winner at our meeting. I absolutely couldn't believe it when my own name was drawn at the meeting! I was in complete shock! That night after I won it at the meeting, I took it home and slept underneath it. As I was falling asleep, it felt like I was getting a big quilty hug from everyone who participated in making this quilt!

Sincerely,

Gloria


No comments: