Search This Blog

June letter

Have you ever made a quilt together with a quilting buddy?
I had not until this week. Mary Jo and I decided to make a quilt together for donating to Come Share. I have to say, we worked well together and we both really enjoyed this.

I always enjoy going to Brookswood and being in the company of other quilters as I quilt, but this just kicks up the enjoyment even a notch higher. The progress on the quilt seemed to be coming along so quickly. I was already joking that we were going to finish the whole quilt in one day. Despite my machine giving me trouble, we really accomplished a lot. Once I could no longer use my machine, she continued sewing as I was cutting. What great teamwork! She brought a great pattern for a scrappy quilt. Of course we didn't get it all finished in a day but I am really looking forward to getting it all together to see how it looks once it is complete. I think it's going to be great. I really love to see how different color combinations look together. I would choose five fabric strips and put them together. Then I would choose five more strips with maybe only one or two of the same fabrics as the last set. Suddenly the colors that have been repeated seem to take on a different tone. It is hard to describe, but the color mix just seemed to give me  a different feeling when I looked at them with different colors next to them.Could that be why quilting is so addictive? As quilters' we experience feelings when we look a different color combinations? If there were such a thing as a masters' degree in quilting, I think that is what I would do my thesis on.

There are no masters' degrees in quilting, but I do have more than one PhD in quilting. By PhD I mean projects half done. I am determined not to let this project with Mary Jo be another one of those!
Over the summer I hope to complete some of those other unfinished quilts as well.

If you have never made a quilt with someone else, I urge you to give it a try. It really is a very enjoyable experience!

Have a great summer everyone, and happy quilting!

Sincerely.

Gloria




No comments: